Monday, August 28, 2017

Cancer Sucks Song by Larry Brewer

This original song was written in 2009 by Larry Brewer (former lead singer for The Windows). This is a song that was inspired by the courage and humor of the friend, Linda Watts. It is a humorous tribute about a serious disease.



Larry Brewer was a Solo Artist & Lead Singer/Songwriter of 80's band 'The Windows'. He was born in Chicago, Illinois (on May 21st). He began playing the guitar at the age of 9. He was inspired by the Beatles and the British Invasion. "During that period, I just didn't care about American rock 'n roll. I wasn't interested in it at all. I listened to The Kinks, The Who, The Searchers, and of course the Beatles." “I used to return pop bottles to get money, and run to the dime store to buy the latest single”.



The latest phrase is an excerpt from the interview Linda Watts made with Larry Brewer to the MOJO Magazine in 2000. Just 12 years later, Linda passed away at Hospice Ministries on Monday, September 3, 2012, after a battle with kidney cancer.

Linda was an avid music supporter, and she supported in warm and motherly fashion many local musicians and bands. And while friends reminisce that Linda loved The Beatles and Dan Fogelberg, her true favorite musicians were right here in Jackson and throughout the state. At one time, she had pictures of all the local bands she loved hanging up on her walls at her home.

Linda was also a talented songwriter in her own right. She was a featured writer for MOJO magazine, and was president of the Jackson chapter of the Nashville Songwriters Association International.

Larry Brewer wrote the song “Cancer Suck” in 2009 for the friend and a great person, Linda Watts.



The Cancer Song Lyrics

Well I’m tired of putting on this wig
And taking all these pills
Tired of my friends telling me
Sorry that you’re ill – cancer sucks

It takes a lot to get up each day
And put on my brave face
But that’s the cards that I’ve been dealt
This is what I say –cancer sucks
Cancer sucks

I’m tired of people looking at me
Misty eyed and sad
It’s a damn good thing that I’m not really
Feeling all that bad

I only had a little chance of losing all my hair
But it happened to me anyway
Which really isn’t fair – cancer sucks

I’m sick with all these doctors
And their Mercedes Benz
Like they’re doing me a favor
When they’re taking my last cent

The one thing I had hoped for was to get a little thin
But to my big disappointment, it’s just not happenin’
Cancer sucks – Cancer sucks

Just remember cancer’s what I have
But it’s not who I am

Mmm



Sources and Additional Information:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...